13 October 2006

 

49 Degrees North Latitude -- Mile 2658


Well, I made it! Of course I am not writing this from the border itself, but rather from the comfort of my own living room...dripping much buffalo fat! I crossed the Border the morning of October 11th and spent the night at a lodge in British Columbia's Manning Provincial Park. The following morning I rode the Dog to Vancouver and another bus to Seattle, closing the book on this, my second thru-hike. Ironically, after hiking much of the way on my own, I enjoyed the company of three other thru-hikers...Dr Tart, Mojave and Muse...over the last days on the Trail.

Your warm and dry thoughts worked...the temperature did not stay below freezing for very long, although there was frost on the ground nearly every morning in the last weeks. Most importantly, it has not been terribly wet. There were just two days of rain since Skykomish, a few more with just clouds and three glorious days of sunshine the final days of the hike. It could not have ended more perfectly.

The scenery itself, including flora and fauna, was amazing. In northernmost Washington, with the Fall colors in their prime and many glaciers in view, it was reminiscent of the High Sierra. Interestingly, it is not the trees that change color...unlike the deciduous forests of New England, here evergreens dominate. However, the underbrush, shrubs and bushes turn rich reds, yellows and oranges. It creates a bright carpet covering the landscape. Moose, bear and a bald eagle were among those animals sighted. I am fortunate, now a resident of Washington, to have all of this in my backyard.

And what of the transition to city life? No doubt I'll experience some sense of loss (and some necessary gaining of weight), but having accomplished what I set out to do and having so much to come home to, I am very happy to be here. One effect of such a prolonged period away is a cleared mind and renewed energy. It probably won't be long before I begin forming the first draft of my next adventure, but in the meantime I'll find quite a lot to keep me busy. Julie will see to that!

Thank you all very much for your interest and participation. Five years ago I wrote articles describing my Appalachian Trail hike...and did not find reporting on that trail nearly as fun or interesting as the interactivity of the blog. Your comments and questions, without doubt, made my hike more satisfying.

Also, you will notice I have posted some representative pictures. Enjoy these.

Again, thanks.
Hannibal

Comments:
Congratulations on completing your PCT thru-hike!

You made it.... love that final picture. :)

It was great meeting your on the trail at Kennedy Meadows. Seems like such a long time ago.

Check out the picture of this historical moment at:

http://photos.sb-outdoors.org/album157/P1010209

Now that you have returned to civilization, I hope the memories of being on the trail and in the wilderness do not erode too quickly from your mind.

Happy trails.

The Beeman
 
Congratulations, Hannibal! You're an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your journey. (Julie, you're an inspiration, too, for supporting him on his endeavor!)
-Strider
 
Good to hear you are home and warm. What a great experience. Hope to see you and July sometime next year if you don't come this way during the holidays.

Wish i was closer to cook some nice meals to fatten you up.

Margaret
 
What a ride!!!

John, you are to be commended for this remarkable accomplishment...which makes us proud. And Julie too earns kudos for her...let's see: courage, understanding,patience, encouragement...love, in fact!

See you at Thanksgiving! We will give thanks for your safe return...and beat Margaret to the punch in helping fatten you up!

Love. Mom and Dad
 
WELCOME HOME!!! Am so happy you have arrived safely after 4-1/2 months of being among rattlers, mountain lions, swiftly flowing waters, in the heat (a lot) and in the cold (not so much). "Home" must have a very different meaning now that you've returned after such a long time away.

May you get your city legs back without too much trauma and may your renewed energy, refreshed soul and mind stay that way for months to come (at least until the next hike is ready to be taken).

Your pictures are beautiful - thank you for sharing. Can hardly wait to see all the ones you took.

Eat lots, sleep lots, and hug your beautiful wife lots! I can't even imagine how thrilled she must be to have you home.

Will miss your blog.

Love, Sandy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?