25 September 2006

 

Packwood, WA -- Mile 2303


What complement could be greater than being called a "scary dude" by a group of high school freshmen? Sister Julie (no one who knows you would suspect vocational change), I'll be sure to supply you with an even scarier dude photo at some point. Seriously, I am humbled to hear my hike is, in however small a way, shaping the minds of tomorrow's leaders. Let me address your classes' questions:

I have been waiting for someone to ask the 'what do I wear while doing laundry' question. The answer: Not much. I have been hiking with a tarp-type shelter that has a head hole because it doubles as a rain poncho, and wear this. It is effective at least, in covering my private geography (consider this the 6th theme of Geography). Of course there is a funny anecdote that goes with this...
In Southern CA, Idyllwild to be exact, I was doing laundry in this manner when the lady seated beside me, with no hint of sarcasm whatsoever, turned to me and said, "I hate it when I have nothing to wear". I answered, "You have no idea." I also found her admiring my newly muscled, bare legs...but enough, this is after all, not an Anatomy lesson.

Socks: I bought a bunch of socks before the hike knowing I would wear them out pretty fast. I have used those twelve pairs, and while in Portland, OR, bought two pairs of heavier-duty sock material that should last me through Washington. Interestingly, to me at least; the hot, dry, dusty and sandy nature of the trail from the Mexican border to Northern Oregon, particularly as I was wearing sneakers, ate socks up rather quickly. The much cooler, occasionally damp to wet weather I have been in since just before Mt. Hood has not led as quickly to sock destruction.

What do I think about? Loneliness?: In short, I think of everything. Current events, as well as future and past. For example, last week I was trying to name all the Supreme Court justices in the order of their ascension to the high court. I can name them all, but am stuck on who came first, Souter or Thomas? Yes, class, I am a nerd, just like your teacher. Or, I'll make up games to play...like the one I call Above-Average-Hiker (no relation, of course). Basically, what I do is keep a running average of my daily miles and try to exceed that value on my next hiking day, and then re-compute the average for the next day, and so on. It's not Chutes and Ladders but doing this math in my head keeps me sharp for the next restaurant bill I have to split. These are some rather innane things, but I also think about family and friends, etc...as far as loneliness goes, no, I never feel lonely...I do miss certain people, but this is not the same thing. I think some people find it easy to be alone with themselves, while some are more comfortable when they are around others. I am the former. Also, there are a lot of people you come across on the trail or resupplying in town. People stop to talk to each other much more on the trail than on a sidewalk in Anywhere, USA. So far, out of the 4 months I have been out here, there have only been 5 or 6 days that I have seen no one. The Appalachian Trail, by the way, is even more social. Eating, however, is still my number one mental pasttime.

What has been the most interesting thing you've seen/learned from the hike?: A very difficult question to answer. You know I enjoy the wildlife...and I can add mountain goats, an elk herd and an American Eagle to the list since I last wrote. The scenery is also fascinating. If you have lived your whole lives on the East Coast, as I did until recently, it is hard to appreciate how dynamic the Earth is. What do I mean by this? Well, the geology out here is not covered up by the forests. The landscape shows the scars and grandeur of glaciation and volcanic and seismic activity. Just in the past few days I have walked around Mts Adams, Rainer and St Helens. They are all three volcanoes, but the first two are dormant and covered in glaciers, while St Helens more than a decade before you were born, erupted dramatically, and continues to be active. Beautiful landscapes. The whole hike has been a lesson in geology.

Do you have any other major hikes planned? Yes, but according to my wife's witty comment/poetry, it won't be until I am 90 years old that I hike the Continental Divide Trail. There is also a hike in Northern Sweden, the Kungsleden Trail, or something like that...it is only a few hundred kilometers, but lies for most of its distance, above the Arctic Circle. And, I would like to do some tramping in Wales and Scotland. There are more, but that is the short list for now.

Thanks for your interest. I am glad to answer any more questions you might have.

Comments:
Today is 10/3 and I'm thinking you're pretty close to the end of your adventure. Am waiting for the final entry to your blog letting us know how the last part of your hike went and also hoping to see a picture of your "thin furriness"!

What an exciting summer I've had traveling with you. Thank you so much for sharing and I can hardly wait to hear the stories you were unable to put on your blog because of lack of time. Am also looking forward to seeing pictures if you were able to take any. But mainly am looking forward to seeing YOU sometime in the near(?) future!

Give your lovely wife a hug for me!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?