18 September 2006

 

Cascade Locks, OR -- Mile 2155


No sooner did I arrive in Oregon, it seems, I am preparing to leave it. Tomorrow morning I will cross the Bridge of the Gods over the Columbia River, pass into Washington and start the last 500 or so miles of trail. I expect to finish sometime around the end of the first week of October. I find myself still very much enjoying the trek, yet at the same time looking forward to getting home...a healthy balance at this point in the hike.

The past week has been interesting. I hiked through a not-yet-extinguished forest fire in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness. It seems the current thinking of the Forest Service is to let these burn as long as people and property are in no danger. The flames were not too high...mostly the forest was smoldering, with a lot of smoke for a few miles. A wet bandana over the nose and mouth helped.

I encountered a few days of rain...the first I have seen since a thunderstorm nearly two months ago. It reminded me I am now in the Pacific Northwest, with Fall upon me. The precipitation culminated in an early season snowstorm on an arm of Mount Hood as I was arriving at Timberline Lodge. Very exciting. The next day I broke trail with 5 inches of snow on the ground.

And, as has been common in Oregon I have continued to encounter much "trail magic". I mentioned previously the invitation to visit a bed & breakfast. Jeff and Bonnie Rames picked me up at Timberline Lodge after I called, along with another hiker and treated us generously; including dinner, laundry, shower, and after a couple of cold, wet nights, a warm bed. What more could a hiker want?

Well, I was able to visit with Strider (remember her from the Appalachian Trail?) in Portland, where I was treated to a salmon dinner by friends of hers who also happen to be avid hikers. A very enjoyable evening. Thank you Strider and Perry and Deb for your wonderful hospitality.

Per a request from Dad, here are some stats:
To date, I have been hiking for 116 days. However, I have taken 33 (so far) "zero" or "near-o" days...days not spent hiking, as I take the time to explore towns and buffets along the trail. I have averaged just over 25 miles of hiking per day when on the trail. My longest day was 39 miles. I walk approximately 3 miles/hour. I have just put on my fifth (and last)pair of sneakers. I have worn out 12 pairs of socks. I have worn the same pair of pants, shirt and shorts every day for the past 116 days. No wardrobe decisions here! They are laundered about as often as you see a new post. Let me know what other curiosities you have...

By the way, the next time I write will not be for some time. There are no town stops for the next 3 or 4 hundred miles - only small stores located a short distance from mountain passes - so opportunities to utilize a computer may not exist for a while.

Until then...

Comments:
It seems impossible that in 2-1/2 or 3 weeks your adventure will be over. When you started out it seemed like the end was so very far away and now here it is and I have enjoyed all the moments you shared with us! I must admit that the rattler, swiftly flowing waters you had to cross and the mountain lion caused my heart to race; then I remembered that I was reading all of this after the fact!

You have seen some of God's spectacular creation, met some of His amazing people and shared so much with us who traveled with you vicariously. I will miss reading your beautiful descriptions - have you thought of incorporating all your entries into a book with some additional ruminations upon your return home? I for one would buy several to send to family,friends and, of course, to keep!

May the coming weeks continue to be filled with beautiful scenery and people and may you arrive safely home refreshed in body, mind and spirit.

Love, Sandy
 
Oh Hannibal, my Hannibal the love of my life
This poem is written by me – your sweet wife.

You left me in May, to walk this great trail
Your courage soon tested by rain – even hail.

You would not be stopped though, to the top did you head
While others retreated, for fear they’d be dead.

Surviving this climb, mating snakes and the heat
Along comes a lion, looking for meat.

Deterred? No not you, onward you go.
Toward northern terrain that would bring you some snow.

Soon you are warned of a blazing forest fire.
Knowing the risks, do you then retire?

Of course not, not you! Danger is but a joke
On you continue, with protection for smoke.

And now you draw near to your humble abode
Never to leave again until you’re ninety years old.
 
Hi everyone. I am the other Julie, that is John's sister. I initially was going to write sister Julie, but didn't want those of you who know me to think I've made a vocational change!

John - you've won a bit of notoriety with my first block freshman World Studies course. In planning a lesson on the 5 Themes of Geography, it occurred to me that your blogs were a perfect description of the themes. So, my class has been reading your entries and identifying and classifying your descriptions.
The lesson actually worked out quite well, and I found they enjoyed your entries, particularly your encounters with the mountain lion and rattle snake - nothing like potentially deadly experiences to get the attention of 14 year olds. They also enjoyed your picture, although it took them a few minutes to get past all the hair. They wanted to know who that "scary dude" was - and did he ever shave. In your defense, I did bring in a current photo (from your wedding) to prove you aren't that scary.

I think your blog may have sparked some interest in hiking as well. While the majority of the class are lovers of modern conveniences and are happy to live vicariously, a few students have expressed an interest in hiking themselves. I even have one student who has hiked and camped along portions of the Appalachian Trail. Regardless, they all have questions for you. So here we go...

If you're only travelling with the clothes you're wearing, how do you do your laundry?

How often do you buy new socks?

When you're hiking, what do you think about besides eating? Do you ever get lonely?

What has been the most interesting thing you've seen/learned from the hike?

Do you have any other major hikes planned?


Good luck on the final steps of your journey!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?