08 August 2006

 

Chester, CA -- Mile 1336


I apologize for the delay in making this post, though it has not been entirely my fault. As I have moved out of the High Sierra and Lake Tahoe tourist zones and into more rural Northeastern-ish California, it has been rather difficult to find functioning, available internet service. For example, in the otherwise exemplary trail town of Sierra City (whose best days were during the mid-nineteenth century Gold Rush) I struck out twice. I first went to the public library, my usual first stop, only to find that its' hours were restricted to two days a week. I was there on neither of those days. Even if I was I would have had to have been fortunate enough to arrive between 12 and 2. Hopefully, the kiddies are doing summer reading elsewhere. My next stop was the General Store, proudly displaying a big red sign: Internet Here. I went in and the following exchange ensued:

Hannibal: You have internet available?
Storekeeper: The internet is down.
Hannibal: (slightly exasperated) Wow, and it was designed to survive nuclear (or nu-ku-lur depending on your political stripes) holocaust. Did something happen?
Storekeeper: It broke. The repairman has to come out from Sacramento. I don't know when...

Sacramento, incidentally, is really not that close to Sierra City. Anyway, the other establishment lacking in these smaller towns are internet coffee shops. Short of knocking on the door of a private residence, which for your sakes I considered doing, I was out of luck. By the way, for those of you who keep up with precious metal commodity prices (no doubt a huge portion of this blog's readership) you won't be too surprised to hear that a lot of the old mines here are reopening. Such was the talk at the breakfast counter at the Red Moose Cafe.

I am now in Chester, the town closest to the midpoint of the trail. I am more than halfway (in miles) finished. As I reassured Julie on the phone this evening, "Halfway in miles, much more than halfway in time." After all, I have to be to avoid the big freeze...both at home when I eventually do return and in the Northern Cascades in the Fall.

Tomorrow, as I head North I go into Lassen Volcanic National Park. Lassen will be the first in a long series of big mountain-volcanoes I walk around or on, on my way to the Canadian border. This is also the end of the Sierra geologically and the beginning of the Cascade Range. All of which explains why I have had the Johnny Cash ditty "Ring of Fire" in my head the past few days.

Until next time...

Comments:
More than half way there! Congratulations!! May the next miles go quickly so that you don't get hit by ANY deep freeze.

It's hard to believe that there are still places in our country who have a library opened two days a week and for two hours on those days - yikes!

And we think we've got it bad when our systems go down!

Want you to know that I've been thinking of a year ago quite a bit! Happy first anniversary, Hannibal, may you and Julie celebrate wildly when you get home (just don't let her drink!).

Be safe.

Sandy
 
Don't worry, I've been drinking plenty on my own for the past few months . . .
 
Dear John,
I finally learned how to send a message! Being the illiterate computer person that I am, your father showed how me last night. (We had gone out with them and the rest of our "Alaska Cruise" companions for a reunion at Wright's Farm. Then had a delicious dessert - a "Patrick Special."
I had wanted to send you Birthday Greetings on July 6th, but gave up in sheer frustration. We wish you all the best. And we wish you and Julie a very Happy Wedding Anniversary, with best wishes for a healthy, happy, and long life together.
We have enjoyed "journeying" with you on this wonderful trip. You write so well, John, that it feels like we are there with you.
Take care. Stay well and happy. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.
Lots of love, Donna and Marcel
 
How ironic that while hiking the arduous and remote mountain and desert trails of the pioneers and explorers, one can still grouse that “it has been rather difficult to find functioning, available internet service”.

Never mind the “all-you-can-eat buffets” of Lake Tahoe, a burrito feast with fellow-hikers, the air-conditioned comfort of a Mojave Motel 6, and the ministrations of the Saufleys of Hiker Heaven...not to mention the awesome vistas of the Sierras seared into your mind like the image of your Julie! Count your blessings, Hannibal!

On the subject of ‘counting your blessings'...to you and Julie we send our love and best wishes on your first wedding anniversary!

Love. Mom and Dad
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?