31 August 2006

 

Ashland, OR -- Mile 1726


Well, first things first. I have to confess to wimping out on the Seiad Valley Pancake Challenge. Just the thought of eating 5 pounds of fried pancake batter, butter and syrup was enough to make me want a 4 egg "everything" omelet, home fries, bacon, juice, coffee and one pancake on the side. I have shamed the name thru-hiker (not to mention my family name and our reputation for having "good forks"), but at least I was able to make the 4500 foot ascent out of the valley without ejecting my stomach contents, as another unfortunate hiker did.

As you can tell from the title of this post, I have left California -- finally -- after 1700 miles. I am now in, as one local called it, Oregonation...whatever that means. One-third complete in state terms...but more importantly, two-thirds finished in mileage. A word about Northern California: Amazing! I knew the Sierra would be beautiful, and the Tahoe area, but was not expecting the rugged gorgeousness of No. Cal. Unpeopled and unspoiled. It kept getting better and better. Even the smoke from the several wildfires burning nearby could not detract from the scenery. And wildlife...much more to be seen and heard here than elsewhere, so far, on the Trail. I will be back.

And speaking of wildlife...let me relate a very exciting sighting. A couple of days ago, just outside Seiad Valley in the Marble Mountain Wilderness (called that because the mountains are made of marble, as you might have guessed) I found myself hiking after dark. I do this occasionally when the moonlight is good. And on that night, while the moon was still early in its cycle it provided enough light to hike by, particularly when reflecting off the marble. There were lots of owls flying around (think of R2-D2 from Star Wars with wings) and plenty of toads hopping out of my way as I went along the Trail. I found a meadow in which to camp at 10:30, shouted a hello to a couple of campers whose headlamps I saw a little way off, and started to lay my sleeping bag out on the ground...when I heard a soft "thump". The kind of noise a cat makes jumping from the dining room table onto the floor...which is exactly what it was. My light was in my teeth as I turned around at the noise. Even before its beam hit the animal I knew it was a mountain lion. Too short to be a deer, too quiet to be a bear, too big to be a bobcat or coyote. And then my light hit it...15 feet away, 5 feet long not including the tail and 2.5 feet high at the shoulder, with piercing cat's-eyes reflected in my light. It was big. We stared at each other for about 10 seconds, although it felt longer, before I made the first move (incidentally, my heart rate at this moment was about 5000 beats per minute). I took a step away, at an angle so I could keep the cat in my peripheral vision and then another slow step. The cougar, deciding I did not look, walk or smell like a deer scampered off in the opposite direction. Whew! and Wow! were my simultaneous reactions. It had apparently stalked me as I came into the meadow and crept along an enormous fallen tree before jumping off the trunk to get a closer look.

I decided to drag my gear closer to the other campers. While making my introduction to the others the lion made a circle around the three of us, apparently concluding we were not the prey it was looking for. Very exciting. And since I am able to write this, an amazing experience.

By the way, Happy Birthday Mom!

Comments:
Sweetheart...something that I teach my students in writing is the importance of knowing your audience. You have repeatedly demonstrated the skills of hooking the reader, ensuring that the reader can visualize what you're describing and engaging the reader in your own experience. On those skills, you'd earn the highest marks.

Were you a student of mine however, I'd clearly have to impress upon you the importance of knowing your audience. The fact is, oh daring dear one of mine, that your wife and mother are avid readers of this blog. Knowing that, you may want to consider the intensity with which you describe your encounters with near-death. I do not in any way want to inhibit your creativity, nor do I want you to mute the passion with which you write. Just know that after reading these entries I may find it necessary to withdraw money from your savings account to participate in intensive therapy sessions, that I would of course offer to your mother as well.

Be well, and please don't pet any cats.
 
The mountain lion took one look at that fuzzy beard and..."YIKES"!!!

Seriously, Julie, your sweetheart is in good Hands; lots of folks are praying for his safe return.

"More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of." (Tennyson)
 
J & J I am so glad that you clarified the "Waffles" because I was packing some real NH maple syrup and on my way... it was only the TSA that turned us away. If you only knew just how much EVERYONE looks forward to your updates:) Oh, yet another reason to get a dog rather than a CAT!
 
Hello, John. I'm glad that the lion didn't eat you.

I just wanted to mention that while you deserve all the praise and accolades that you received for coming home to see your lovely wife on the anniversary of your sacred union, you wouldn't have had to come home if my generous sister had not encouraged and supported this trip. So, while this was an anniversary to remember, she, in my humble and unbiased opinion, gets just as many props for creating the context in which you had the opportunity to surprise her in such a loving and romantic way. And while we're at it, did I mention MY integral role in this??

But back to that lion, it's a good thing that it turned it's back on you, it wouldn't have gotten much meat out of you after all the weight you lost.

Happy adventures-
Sara
 
I will never hear a cat jump off anything without thinking of you and your mountain lion! As I read your description my heart started beating 5000 beats per minute! How you kept your composure is a mystery to me - I would have run or screamed or both and probably would have ended up as dinner! Glad you were able to say "whew" and "wow" at the end of this adventure!

Just reading about the Seiad Valley Pancake Challenge almost made me sick to my stomach! Glad you opted for the 4 egg "everything" omelet and its side dishes.

Am grateful that you have made it safely to Oregon and pray that whoever the patron saint of hikers is keeps doing his/her job of taking care of you as you marvel at the beauty of creation.

Will miss this blog when you have finally completed your hike but will be very happy to know that you are safely away from the wildlife whose home you were exploring and appreciating.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?