24 June 2006

 

Mojave, CA -- Mile 559


I am definitely in the desert, in the summer, in the middle of a heatwave even by desert standards for the time of year. It has been well over 100 degrees the past couple of days, and if forecasters are to be believed could get as high as 115 before Wednesday, when the heat is supposed to break. What was really perverse was hiking in this heat, and for part of the trail, hearing the flow of water beneath me. This was not some kind of auditory mirage, rather, the Los Angeles aqueduct flowing down from the Sierra Nevada. Needless to say, I took refuge for a day in this town, in the air-conditioned comfort of a Motel 6 room.

In another week, I'll be in the Sierras, contending with what was an unusually high snow year there. What a difference a week will make.

The town of Mojave itself is essentially a big rest area, motels and fast-food restaurants, with a big parking lot for planes. Strange, but true. Apparently, if airlines find themselves with too many planes they park them here until they need them. This is the pride of Mojave along with the numerous wind turbines that dot the landscape, according to my conversations with a few locals. The people seem friendly enough, and very curious about life outside the desert, giving me a visitor-from-another-planet feeling.

I don't expect I will have the opportunity to blog again for at least a couple of weeks because of the remoteness of the Sierras, but when I do, I should have a lot to say. They are the crown jewels of this hike. Mt Whitney, the John Muir Trail (which coincides with the PCT for over 200 miles and is considered by many to be the best hiking trail in the world), Yosemite, and much more.

While I have another week of desert, there is much to look ahead to. Thanks for looking ahead with me.

Comments:
Thanks for looking ahead with you!!??

How could we not? We've been hiking along with you through the desert, giving rattlesnakes a wide berth, sleeping under the stars, admiring the flowers and cacti,
albeit vicariously - or as Sandy suggested earlier - from the comfort of a car!

What a way to go!
 
John, It's great to read about your adventures! We are happy to hear your hike is going so well! Take Care, Rob & Maria
 
I wanted to share with you all that I spoke with John a few days ago from a little town that apparently serves the greatest milkshakes in the world. This milkshake reputation reached the ears of my hubby in the midst of 115 degree heat in the desert and tantalized his soul, so he hitched 20 some miles off of the trail (to Lake Isabella) to consume this world renowned treat. I believe the flavor was butterfinger something or other. I thought that was a fun story to share, so share I did....now everyone go have a milkshake!
 
Hi Everyone, I had the good fortune to meet Hannibal this morning just north of Kennedy Meadows about to enter the first Sierra alpine meadow of the trail. Of the 14 PCT hikers I met today, Hannibal is by far the fittest and appears to be having the best time. He was nice enough to share his blog address so I thought I would post a comment to report how well he is doing. We share an interest in Tilley hats. I'm happy to see your gear list - I ended up with a 44 lb. pack for my three day trip - I'll learn from yours and others. It was great meeting you - Good luck Hannibal!
 
John,

It was great to meet you on the trail during our 5 day trip from Kennedy Meadows to Death Canyon and back. I enjoyed sharing some lightweight backpacking "gear talk" during our short visit.

You were one of the few PCT thru-hikers that we saw over a 2 day period who was carrying an LW pack. Congratulations, you have "seen the light", and you will travel the PCT in great style! :)

I wish you a great hike through the Sierras, and I look forward to hearing more stories about your PCT adventures in the weeks to come.

BTW I posted some pictures from our trip, including a picture of our meeting, at:

http://photos.sb-outdoors.org/album157

Happy Hiking

The Beeman
 
Hannibal -

Paul emailed me with photos after meeting you on trail, since you mentioned we had met at the Saufleys. Great to hear you're doing well and to see your progress. You must be having a great time in the Sierra! Enjoy the rest of your trip... maybe I'll see you on the trail in Washington.

--Homemade
 
Thanks to the Beeman for the great pictures:) John it appears as though you have lost "your winter coat" to the tune of 13.64kg (30lbs) or so- looking mighty svelte. Though Barb and I don't leave comments to each of your postings we too click on your blog each day to see if there is any new news from either yourself or from some of the wonderful people that you have met. I am most interested in the milkshake- as I am a self-proclaimed connoisseur. Happy trails. Barb and Eric
 
Altogether now...one, two, three!

Happy Birthday TOOOO you.
Happy Birthday TOOOO you.
Happy Birthday, dear Hannibal,
Happy Birthday TOOOO youuuu.

Happy Birthday, John.
Love. Mom and Dad
 
Will you be home in time for dinner tonight? I have a coffee ice cream birthday cake sitting here for you.

Happy Birthday Hanny!

Julie
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?